Awaken your Scalp-how to brush your way to relaxation and beautiful hair
If you’ve spent any time in a yoga studio, you have no doubt heard the word “asana,” which means “position” in Sanskrit. Our new Pram?sana™ collection incorporates the word because we believe that a healthy scalp is the foundation (or “prama” in Sanskrit) that positions your hair for its greatest beauty. To that end, we’ve paired ancient Ayurvedic wisdom and modern science to create products and rituals that help you cleanse and care for your scalp, helping your hair to reach its fullest potential.
The line features three home care products, which can be used together to give yourself an Awakening Scalp Ritual: The Exfoliating Scalp Brush, Purifying Scalp Cleanser and Protective Scalp Concentrate. Scalp dry brushing (the cornerstone of the home treatment)—inspired by ancient Ayurvedic wisdom—begins the cleansing process by exfoliating the scalp to help loosen build up and impurities. It also helps increase micro?circulation. Used as part of the system, it is the first step in creating an optimal foundation for beautiful hair.
Marc Zollicoffer, Director of Professional Spa Education at Aveda says to consider the brush as a massage tool, using small circular motions and focusing your work on the scalp, rather than the hair. The beauty of the Exfoliating Scalp Brush is that it was designed with looped bristles which are great for massaging your scalp without tangling your hair.
To get the full effects of the scalp dry brushing treatment, follow the steps below.
1. Brush through your hair to detangle.
2. Take a deep conscious breath and focus on your breathing throughout the process.
3. To stimulate the roots of your hair, brush from the hairline to the crown of the head in an upward motion. Repeat covering the entire scalp.
4. Using a downward motion or arc, massage the entire right side of the scalp for 15 seconds. Repeat on the left side.
5. Gently press the brush into the scalp starting from the back bristles of the brush moving the pressure to the front bristles in a rolling motion. Cover the entire scalp.
6. Gently tap the brush on the scalp, covering the entire scalp.
In addition to boosting microcirculation, you’ll find that scalp massage feels great due to the high number of nerve endings in the area. Plus, it provides a moment of relaxation. “Most of us are literally in our heads thinking all day long, and we don’t realize how much tension we hold in our scalps,” says Marc, who notes that by massaging along the occipital ridge (the shelf at the base of the skull), specifically, you can release tension in both your head and shoulders. And who couldn’t stand to release a little tension?
Follow the ritual by cleansing with the Pram?sana™ Purifying Scalp Cleanser, and then keep sebum levels balanced and scalp protected from pollution and free radicals with the Protective Scalp Concentrate.
ARE YOU READY TO AWAKEN YOUR SCALP?